Wednesday 6 January 2016

Uncharted, The Nathan Drake Collection (PS4) review.

Lets start with something negative and see it turn into a positive. Now there's a twist! I do not like playing 3rd person perspective games, I like FPS and then I  like playing with a mouse and keyboard when playing those games. I had never played Uncharted, despite pleas from a couple of friends to try it. It looked good in the you tube videos and for sure I chalked it in as a game I will "someday" try. That someday came as a Boxing day special PS4 bundle and I got all three episodes in one go. The Drake's Fortune, Among Thieves, and Drake's Deception.

I can say this game is like Tomb Raider. I could say this game looks like a tomb Raider Rip. I could say atleast Tomb Raider has a busty female protagonist. Infact I could continue on and say Uncharted is like Tomb Raider this and Tomb Raider that. The question then would be if I am right. I am goign to go ahead and say no, I will not be right and here is why.

On the point that it is like Tomb Raider, yes the game play is but that is where the similarity stops. Where Uncharted takes over and becomes an IP in its own right and more to the point becomes a new game and story unto itself is how it does it. It has a rich colourful story telling that is blended seamlessly into the gameplay. The cut scenes are not imposing because they form the complex integrated story line that is very well in tune with the environment you are about to play and have just played. It feels like a movie in action adventure and mystery whose story line unfolding is in your hands. Tomb raider felt like you discover something, you kill some baddies, you finish the game. This is quite different in uncharted because your protagonist is constantly in an environment of adventure. There are puzzles to solve yes but this too is done in a really interactive way that feels part of the game instead of being separated from it.

I  have only played this for a few hours and I am up to Chapter 4 in Drake's fortune. This chapter started with a bang and in Indiana Jones style jumping out of planes. Nathan Drake, our protagonist is very vocal and it adds to the wonderful cinematic atmosphere of this game. I still dislike playing 3rd person perspective, but I cant put down the controller for Uncharted. Perhaps it is Uncharted that will make me like 3rd person perspective modes, we will just have to wait and see. If you have not played Uncharted, or if you are purely an FPS gamer but looking for a game to try out third person perspective style, or someone looking for a great action adventure mystery game, go pick this up. If you are on the PS4, get the remastered version collection which I have. Overall impression, snaps the needle on the positive gauge. Awesomely done cinematic experience.


No comments :

Post a Comment